The YAWP curriculum sends professional writers and writing teachers into Long Island schools with a variety of innovative, inter-disciplinary writing workshops, including:
- Personal Essay
… all of which conclude with special projects and presentations, as well as potential vodcasts, blogs and/or publication in the YAWP Ezine.
The goals of YAWP include:
- To enhance critical thinking, collaboration and communications skills.
- To help each student find and develop his or her unique voice and point of view.
- To use creative expression as a way to solve problems and promote global awareness.
- To advance 21st century skills while supporting ELA requirements.
- To expose students to the unique creative programs and resources of Stony Brook Southampton, including the annual Southampton Writer’s Conference.
STONY BROOK SOUTHAMPTON MFA WRITING AND LITERATURE
- Robert Reeves, Director
- Carla Caglioti, Associate Director
- Adrienne Unger, Administrative Coordinator
YOUNG AMERICAN WRITERS PROJECT PROGRAMMATIC STAFF
- Executive Director – Emma Walton Hamilton
- Program Director – Will Chandler
- Producer – William Burford
- Administrative Associate – Diana Gallagher
- Playwriting – Will Chandler & Emma Walton Hamilton
- Screenwriting – Annette Handley-Chandler
- Fiction & Personal Essay – LouAnn Walker
- Poetry – Julie Sheehan
Click here to learn more about the YAWP Programs.